Robbie Rogers - a letter to his 14-year-old self
You’re walking around with a cramp in your stomach. You feel trapped within yourself. The pressure of being a high school freshman and playing for the u-16 national team is stressful enough.
But on top of that, you’re worried that you’re different from everyone, especially your team mates. And you think that if they figure out who you are, you want to be able to play the sport you love, or your family won’t agree with it. Sometimes you pray and think: “I don’t wanna live through this, why can’t I be like my brothers and sisters?”
I’m not going to tell you to come out at 14 years old. I’m not going to tell you what’s going to happen in the future either, because the journey is important. But I want you to realise that God made you this way for a reason. You’re not damned or going to hell. You didn’t have a choice in this. But you do have a purpose in life, just as everyone does.
When guys say things in the locker room, remind yourself that most of them don’t actually feel this way. They aren’t really homophobic. These are people trying to please others, or think that’s what they’re supposed to say. Everyone is dealing with something, whether they’re gay or straight.
You don’t have to feel like you’re alone.
Which brings me to this: if there’s any great advice I can give you, it’s to find someone you can speak to about what you’re feeling inside, someone you can trust who won’t judge or expose you. Because you can’t walk around with a burden like the one you’re carrying. You’ve got to share this with somebody.
I know I said I wouldn’t tell you what your future holds, but I will tell you that everything’s going to be fine – one day you’ll be happier than you ever thought possible. And while you can’t envision sharing your secret now, the world is changing. People are becoming more accepting.
And when the time is right, the day might come when you’re ready to face the world as the beautiful person you truly are.
41 Notes/ Hide
- irishpotato98 likes this
- alex-androvich likes this
- californialover101 likes this
- schwaben-herz likes this
- tobinsheaths likes this
- samindajaus likes this
- retroparis likes this
- seelockhart likes this
- bodtkirschtein likes this
- thablackprint reblogged this from gaertnerplatz-gang
- thablackprint likes this
- one-chance-go-for-it likes this
- lanadelreignofterror reblogged this from gaertnerplatz-gang
- lanadelreignofterror likes this
- ravenousnightwind likes this
- wilddesire-s likes this
- oznerol-noslen likes this
- sailng likes this
- locamadridista reblogged this from gaertnerplatz-gang
- locamadridista likes this
- tyskerunge reblogged this from mia-san-minga-oida
- teacuplovescrown reblogged this from mia-san-minga-oida
- destinycalling07 likes this
- mia-san-minga-oida reblogged this from wie-sagt-man-noch
- mia-san-minga-oida likes this
- vaginomics likes this
- cafenthusiast reblogged this from gaertnerplatz-gang
- anotheridealist reblogged this from gaertnerplatz-gang
- rubyismystone reblogged this from gaertnerplatz-gang
- rubyismystone likes this
- buy-me-a-color-tv likes this
- meinlebenmeineregeln reblogged this from wie-sagt-man-noch
- wie-sagt-man-noch reblogged this from mia-san-bayern-muenchen
- anotheridealist likes this
- shaqiriknuddelchen reblogged this from gaertnerplatz-gang
- princefabiann reblogged this from gaertnerplatz-gang
- mia-san-bayern-muenchen reblogged this from gaertnerplatz-gang
- schwnsteigr likes this
- gaertnerplatz-gang posted this